Safe Swap Parking Spots
Hi Brooklyn Center - please feel free to utilize our 'Safe Swap' parking spots for internet purchase/custody exchanges!
The Brooklyn Center Police Department has labeled two parking spots near the main entrance of the police department that are labeled ‘Safe Swap’. The Safe Swap parking spots are a designated area where residents may exchange items that they have purchased/sold online. This allows people to have a public location to make legal transactions.
Our Safe Swap parking spots are available 24 hours per day and located in the north parking lot of the Brooklyn Center Police Department at 6645 Humboldt Ave. N., Brooklyn Center, MN 55430, just past the main entrance. The online local marketplace referred to as OfferUp has included the BCPD as a safe Community MeetUp Spot.
Please be vigilant about your personal and physical safety – and also take precautions to avoid financial crimes, such as theft or identity theft.
Please keep in mind the following about Safe Swap parking spots:
- A police officer will not monitor each exchange and will not facilitate transactions, nor keep a log of transactions.
- If a member of the public requests an officer present during a Safe Swap exchange, the Brooklyn Center Police Department will try and accommodate based on availability of personnel.
- There is no guarantee that a Safe Swap location will provide a greater level of safety compared to other public locations. - Safe Swap parking spots are an additional option when people want to schedule a transaction in a public place.
- Safe Swap parking spots may be used for other legal exchanges such as exchanging property between individuals or for child visitation exchanges.
While many people who conduct business online are honest and sincere in buying and selling their items, there are those who use it to facilitate their crimes. Buyers and sellers online are strangers and you need to take safety precaution, including:
- Tell a friend or family member where you are going and when you will return.
- If possible, have someone accompany you.
- Conduct exchanges during daylight hours, in a public place.
- Bring a cell phone and make sure it is turned on.
- Always trust your instincts and take additional safety precautions as necessary. Cancel plans for a transaction if you identify any red flags or have additional concerns for your safety.
Brooklyn Center Police Department
6645 Humboldt Ave. N. • Brooklyn Center, MN 55430
Office Hours: 8:00 AM—4:30 PM Monday — Friday
Like us on Facebook! /brooklyncenterpolice